1. Select the required view(s) based on the request.
2. Gather the necessary materials and supplies.
a. Appropriate cassettes.
c. Lead shielding.
d. Letter markers.
3. Prepare the patient.
a. Bring the patient into the X-ray room.
b. Ensure the patient is properly dressed.
(1) Ensure foreign objects are removed from the patient as necessary.
(2) Ensure the patient has removed all clothing under the area of interest, as necessary.
NOTE: Have the patient put on a gown if necessary.
c. Explain the procedure.
4. Measure the body part through the entry-exit site of the central ray.
5. Set the control panel.
a. Consult the technique chart.
b. Set the appropriate mAs and kVp on the control panel.
6. Place the lead shielding around the patient's waist.
7. Select the proper film size.
NOTE: Use 1/2 half of a 14" x 17" cassette crosswise for both views. If the patient is too broad for the 14" x 17" cassette, use two 8" x 10" cassettes crosswise placed side by side and expose simultaneously to include both AC joints on one exposure.
8. Position the overhead tube.
a. Set the tube perpendicular to the cassette.
b. Set the source to image receptor distance (SID) to 72 inches (182 cm).
c. Center the tube to the cassette.
d. Adjust the conefield to the full field coverage.
9. Position the acromioclavicular joints for the AP view.
NOTE: The first view is taken without weights and the second view is taken with the patient holding a minimum of 5 lbs in each hand.
a. Stand the patient with equal weight on both feet and with his/her back against the upright film holder.
NOTE: Seat all tall patients.
b. Place the median plane perpendicular to the center of the cassette.
c. Place both shoulders in the same transverse plane.
NOTE: Place the feet a comfortable distance apart.
d. Place the manubrial notch over the centerline of the cassette.
e. Direct the central ray midpoint between the AC joints perpendicular to the film.
10. Place the appropriate letter marker on the cassette.
11. Tell the patient, "DO NOT BREATHE OR MOVE."
12. Make the exposure.
13. Tell the patient, "RELAX AND BREATHE NORMALLY," and remove the weights (if used).
14. Develop the exposed cassette(s) with patient identification.