7.8 Exercises for Unit 7
1. In a lead-acid battery, current is produced by what type of reaction?
- A. Photochemical
- B. Chemical
- C. Electrochemical
- D. Electronic
2. A 12-volt lead-acid automotive battery consists of how many elements
connected in series?
- A. Six
- B. Four
- C. Three
- D. Two
3. Why are the cell elements of a storage battery elevated inside the case?
- A. To allow the electrolyte to circulate under the elements.
- B. To prevent the elements from shorting against the case.
- C. To reduce the amount of lead required for connecting the elements and
- D. To prevent shorting of the elements when material from the plates settles to
the bottom of the case.
4. When the temperature is 80°F, a fully charged lead-acid battery will produce
what specific gravity reading?
- A. 1.28
- B. 1.82
- C. 2.18
- D. 2.81
5. When taking a hydrometer reading of a battery whose temperature is 100°F, you
must make what modification to the reading to determine the actual specific
gravity of the electrolyte?
- A. Add 0.006
- B. Add 0.008
- C. Add 0.003
- D. Add 0.004
6. What are the two methods for rating lead-acid storage batteries?
- A. Reserve capacity and discharge
- B. Reserve capacity and ampere-hour
- C. Cold-cranking and reserve capacity
- D. Cold-cranking and discharge
7. When charging batteries, you should take which action?
- A. Add electrolyte to any cell in which the fluid level is below the top of the
plates before charging.
- B. Remove the vent plugs to prevent an accumulation of gases.
- C. Take frequent hydrometer readings to determine if the battery is functioning
properly during charging.
- D. Remove each battery for a 10-minute break when half charged.
8. What procedure is considered the only safe way to mix electrolyte for a
- A. Pour water into acid slowly and stir gently.
- B. Pour water into acid slowly and stir vigorously.
- C. Pour acid into water slowly and stir gently.
- D. Pour acid into water slowly and stir vigorously.
9. When cleaning the top of a lead-acid battery, which combination should you
- A. Soft bristle brush and a mixture of water and baking soda
- B. Soft bristle brush and a mixture of water and muratic acid
- C. Stiff bristle brush and a mixture of water and baking soda
- D. Stiff bristle brush and a mixture of water and muratic acid
10. What test allows you to determine the general condition of a maintenance
- A. Cell voltage
- B. Battery leakage
- C. Battery drain
- D. Battery voltage
11. When load testing a battery with a cold-cranking rating of 350 amps, you
should load the battery to what total number of amps?
- A. 150
- B. 175
- C. 200
- D. 225
12. The current generated by an alternator is converted to direct current by
means of what component?
- A. Armature coil
- B. Condenser
- C. Rectifier
- D. Station field coil
13. What component of an alternator is mounted on the rotor shaft and provides
current to the rotor windings?
- A. Slip rings
- B. Claw poles
- C. Stator core
- D. Coils
14. In what manner are stator windings connected in an alternator?
- A. One end is connected to the positive diodes and the other end to the negative
- B. One end is connected to the stator assembly and the other end to the
- C. One end is connected to the negative diodes and the other end to the field
- D. One end is connected to the electrical terminals and the other end to the
15. What type of stator will provide good current output at low engine speeds?
- A. Delta-type
- B. Omega-type
- C. K-type
- D. Y-type
16. A total of how many diodes are grounded in an alternator?
- A. Four
- B. Three
- C. Two
- D. One
17. Grounding the field terminal of the alternator will result in damage to the _____.
- A. regulator
- B. diodes
- C. rotor windings
- D. alternator
18. By what means can the proper operation of a charging system containing an
alternator be checked?
- A. Ammeter
- B. Voltmeter
- C. Screwdriver
- D. Jumper wire
19. To determine if an alternator rotor is internally shorted, you can test the
rotor windings with what device?
- A. Armature growler
- B. Galvanometer
- C. Test lamp
- D. Ohmmeter
20. When performing a regulator bypass test, which method should you use to
bypass the voltage regulator?
- A. Place a jumper wire from the field terminals of the alternator to the engine
- B. Place a jumper wire from the test tab to the field terminals of the
- C. Place a jumper wire across the battery and field terminals of the alternator.
- D. Unplug the wire from the regulator.
21. What mechanism relies on the principle of inertial force to make the drive
pinion mesh with the flywheel?
- A. Bendix drive
- B. Overruning clutch
- C. Dyer drive
- D. Reduction drive
22. In a starting circuit containing a solenoid, when is battery current
supplied to the starter motor?
- A. When the remote control switch is closed.
- B. At the time the ignition switch is turned to the start position.
- C. After the starter pinion is engaged with the flywheel.
- D. When the plunger closes the contacts in the solenoid.
23. Field windings vary according to application. What is the most popular
configuration used to provide a large amount of low-speed torque?
- A. Six windings, series-parallel
- B. Two windings, parallel
- C. Three windings, series-parallel
- D. Four windings, series
24. Which starting circuit component is common to all vehicles and equipment
having automatic transmissions?
- A. Starter solenoid
- B. Relay
- C. Neutral safety switch
- D. Double reduction starter
25. When it is necessary to adjust a neutral safety switch, which test equipment
- A. Voltmeter
- B. Ohmmeter
- C. Inductive ammeter
- D. Test light
26. The battery-ignition circuit consists of a total of how many circuits?
- A. Four
- B. Three
- C. Two
- D. One
27. In an ignition circuit, high voltage is directed to the spark plugs in the
correct firing order by what component?
- A. Ballast resistor
- B. Ignition coil
- C. Distributor rotor
- D. Spark plug wires
28. When troubleshooting an ignition circuit, you should change the
manufacturer's specified heat range of the spark plugs when what condition
- A. Increased resistance is required by the circuit.
- B. Abnormal operating conditions are encountered.
- C. Ignition timing is changed from the manufacturer’s setting.
- D. High voltage surges in the primary circuit are reduced.
29. What component opens and closes the primary circuit of an electronic
- A. Electronic module control (EMC)
- B. Electronic primary control (EPC)
- C. Electronic circuit control (ECC)
- D. Electronic control unit (ECU)
30. In a computerized timing advance mechanism, what sensor reports piston
position to the computer?
- A. Crankshaft
- B. Camshaft
- C. Throttle
- D. Height
31. A grayish tan deposit on the insulator of a spark plug indicates what
- A. Normal operation
- B. Carbon-fouled
- C. Ash-fouled
- D. Preignition damage
32. How often should spark plugs be regapped?
- A. Each time the vehicle is serviced
- B. At 6,000 mile intervals
- C. Any time they are removed for inspection
- D. During a "B" PM only
33. You have performed a spark plug wire resistance test. The test should not
show the resistance to be over 5,000 ohms per inch, or what total number of
- A. 25,000
- B. 50,000
- C. 100,000
- D. 125,000
34. On a distributor cap, which condition will short coil voltage to ground?
- A. Faulty distributor lead
- B. Broken coil wire
- C. Carbon trace
- D. Broken rotor
35. After installing contact points, you notice that the faces do not make full
contact. What corrective action should you take?
- A. File the faces straight across the edge that is riding high.
- B. Bend the movable breaker arm.
- C. Bend the stationary contact bracket.
- D. Remove the points and realign the faces.
36. (True or False) To advance timing, you should turn the distributor housing
in the same direction as the shaft rotation.
- A. True
- B. False
37. Most automotive and construction equipment lighting systems operate on what
- A. 6 or 12 volts
- B. 12 or 18 volts
- C. 12 or 24 volts
- D. 18 or 24 volts
38. You are operating a vehicle with a 12-volt electrical system. The voltmeter
in the vehicle should indicate a reading that falls within what voltage range?
- A. 11.5 to 12.2
- B. 13.2 to 14.5
- C. 15.5 to 16.2
- D. 17.5 to 18.3