1. The cylinder block, the cylinder head, the exhaust and intake manifolds are considered to be what part of the engine?
2. Other than cast iron, what other type of metal is used to construct an engine block?
3. Core hole plugs are also called _____ plugs.
4. What are the two types of cylinder sleeves used in an engine block?
5. What condition causes most cylinder sleeve casualties?
6. The piston attaches to the crankshaft by what means?
7. What part is the backbone of an internal combustion engine?
8. In a diesel engine, what is machined in the head of the piston?
9. What type of bearings support the crankshaft in the block?
10. Intake manifolds can change engine performance when they are made by varying the length of what?
11. Cylinder heads on air-cooled engines are made of what material?
12. An internal combustion engine has a minimum of how many valves for each cylinder?
13. What type of lifter is a zero clearance lifter?
14. The three characteristics to check on a valve spring are the squareness, height and _____.
15. Timing gears are used in which type of engine?
16. Typical clearance for mechanical lifters is_____
17. (True or False) Hydraulically operated valves can be adjusted when the engine is running.
18. The two basic types of valve seats are integral and _____.
19. When you perform a wet compression test and the reading goes up, what is the most likely problem?
20. If you make a vacuum gauge test at sea level with the engine idling at 550 rpm and get a reading of 10 inches, what is the most probable cause?
21. When performing a cylinder leakage test, you notice a loud hissing of air from the carburetor. This is an indication of what type of problem?
22. The structural components of a piston are the head, skirt, ring grooves, and _____.
23. The piston is subjected to extreme heat and pressure each time it moves, with a maximum pressure of _____ psi, and maximum heat of _____ degrees F.
24. Piston clearance is the space between the piston and the _____ .
25. The connecting rods are made in the shape of a/an _____ beam.
26. Some crankshaft main bearings have an integral thrust face to eliminate _____.
27. Tortional vibration occurs when the crankshaft twists because of what stroke?
28. The flywheel on large slow moving engines is made of what material?