1. When the speed of a vehicle is doubled, the amount of kinetic energy that must be overcome by braking action is multiplied how many times?
2. The time frame between the instant the operator decides that the brakes should be applied and the moment the brake system is activated is known by what term?
3. Which factor will NOT increase braking temperatures?
4. On a typical rear-wheel drive vehicle, the front brakes will handle what percentage of the braking power?
5. Of the following functions, which is NOT a function of the master cylinder in a hydraulic brake system?
6. Which factor is an advantage of having a dual master cylinder in a hydraulic brake system?
7. What dual master cylinder system operates the brake assemblies on opposite corners?
8. What brake system component changes hydraulic pressure into mechanical force?
9. Brake lines are constructed from what type of tubing?
10. What component is used to feed two wheel cylinders from a single brake line?
11. Which DOT rated brake fluid is easily spotted by its purple color?
12. (True or False) The primary brake shoe is the front shoe and normally has a slightly shorter lining than the secondary shoe.
13. What type of brake lining does NOT wear the brake drum excessively?
14. What type of brake shoe adjusting system is operable in both forward and reverse directions?
15. Which action is a disadvantage of drum brakes?
16. Which action is an advantage of disc brakes?
17. Which component is NOT part of a disc brake assembly?
18. What component of a caliper acts as a spring to retract the piston?
19. Metal tabs are built into some disc brake pads for what purpose?
20. What type of caliper is designed to permit equal braking force to be applied to both sides of the rotor?
21. In an antilock brake system (ABS), what component modulates the amount of braking pressure (psi) going to a specific wheel circuit?
22. During the operation of an antilock brake system, what component measures trigger wheel rotation?
23. To develop the additional force required to apply the brakes, most power brake systems use the difference between what two systems?
24. What component is designed to make vacuum available for a short time to the booster unit should the vehicle have to stop quickly with a stalled engine?
25. Should the power steering system fail, what component of a hydraulic power booster retains enough fluid and pressure for at least two brake applications?
26. (True or False) The parking/emergency brake must hold a vehicle on any grade.
27. When you are checking the fluid level in a master cylinder, how far should the fluid be from the top of the reservoir, in inches?
28. The distance from the floor to the brake pedal with the brake applied is known as the brake pedal .
29. Before installing a master cylinder on a vehicle, what action should you take?
30. What action should you take when you find any pitting, scoring, or scratching in the bore of a wheel cylinder?
31. Normally, what is the maximum amount of surface material, in inches, that can be removed from a brake drum and still provide adequate braking?
32. When replacing disc brake shoes, why do you force the caliper pistons into the bores of the caliper?
33. When removing air from the hydraulic brake system, you should bleed one brake at a time starting with the wheel cylinder located where?
34. The governor maintains the proper pressure required for safe operation by controlling what component?
35. What gauge should you use to adjust the type O-1 governor accurately?
36. Within the type D governor, at what pressure range, in psi, will the air pressure allow the exhaust stem to close the exhaust valve and to open the inlet valve?
37. To increase the pressure setting of the type D governor, you must perform which task?
38. What is the function of the unloader assembly?
39. What component is used to cool, store, and remove moisture from the air and give a smooth flow of air to the brake system?
40. What is the function of the safety valve located on top of the first reservoir?
41. What component is designed to convert the energy of compressed air into mechanical force and motion?
42. What component provides a quick and easy way to adjust air brakes to compensate for wear?
43. What valve controls the air pressure delivered to the brake chambers?
44. After cleaning a treadle valve, you should apply which lubricant to the internal parts of the valve during reassembly?
45. What valve is designed to exhaust brake chamber air pressure and speed up brake release of the air brake system?
46. All air brake assemblies used to connect air brake systems from one vehicle to another are equipped with detachable fittings and what else?
47. The low pressure warning indicator is designed to send an alarm when air pressure drops below how many psi?
48. What term refers to the basic test made to an air brake system?
49. On an air brake antilock brake system, the wheel speed sensors send signals to what component?
50. When wheel lock up occurs on an air brake antilock brake system, what component sends a signal to the solenoids in the modulator to release the brakes?