10.6 Exercises for Unit 10
1. What component of a drive shaft assembly provides free movement in a
horizontal direction and is capable of transmitting torque?
- A. Slip yoke
- B. Rear yoke
- C. Front universal joint
- D. Rear universal joint
2. What type of drive shaft is enclosed and rotates within a support bearing to
- A. Hotchkiss
- B. Companion
- C. Flange tube
- D. Torque tube
3. What type of universal joint is most often used?
- A. Double cardan
- B. Ball and trunnion
- C. Cross and roller
- D. Bendix-Weiss
4. When the driven shaft of a Rzeppa CV joint is moved 30 degrees, the cage and
balls move what number of degrees?
- A. 30
- B. 20
- C. 15
- D. 10
5. Which is NOT a function of a pillow block bearing in an auxiliary power
- A. To support the drive shaft.
- B. To maintain drive shaft alignment.
- C. To prevent whipping under heavy loads.
- D. To prevent shimmy and poor control.
6. Which condition indicates that a center support bearing is faulty?
- A. Whining noise in the drive line
- B. Failure of the vehicle to start moving smoothly
- C. Frequent stalling when the clutch is engaged
- D. Vibration from the chassis at low speeds
7. When performing a drive shaft inspection, what action do you take to check
- A. Move them by prying with a pry bar.
- B. Completely disassemble the joints.
- C. Measure the play between the cross and roller.
- D. Wiggle and rotate each joint back and forth.
8. In what gear is a worn universal joint most often noticed?
- A. Fourth
- B. Third
- C. First
- D. Reverse
9. When you are removing the drive shaft from a vehicle, what component can be
damaged if you allow the full weight of the drive shaft to hang from the slip
- A. Rear U-joint
- B. Front bushing
- C. Extension housing
- D. Support bearing
10. When reassembling a universal joint, you should use what type of lubricant
to prevent the bearings from falling out of the bearing cap?
- A. High-temperature grease
- B. Wheel bearing grease
- C. Water pump lubricant
- D. Vaseline
11. When replacing the center support bearing, which condition should you ensure
- A. Bearing shield contains grease.
- B. Grease fitting is in place.
- C. Dust shield is placed in its grooves correctly.
- D. Drive shaft alignment is maintained.
12. Which is a function of the differential in an automotive vehicle?
- A. Connects the rear axles’ shafts.
- B. Allows the axles to turn at different speeds when cornering.
- C. Permits the driving axles to be driven as a single unit.
- D. Transmits power indirectly to the drive axles.
13. What type of differential carrier is constructed as part of the axle
- A. Removable
- B. Pinion
- C. Integral
- D. Axial
14. What component of a differential assembly holds the ring gear, the spider
gears, and the inner ends of the axles?
- A. Case
- B. Carrier
- C. Final drive
- D. Windlass
15. The outer end of the pinion gear is joined to the rear U-joint companion
flange by what components?
- A. Bolts
- B. Lock rings
- C. Splines
- D. Snap rings
16. What component of a differential drives the ring gear?
- A. Side gear
- B. Spider gear
- C. Spiral bevel gear
- D. Pinion gear
17. Which gear ratio of a final drive provides a substantial increase in
acceleration but decreases fuel economy?
- A. 4.11
- B. 3.71
- C. 3.50
- D. 2.78
18. What type of final drive has the pinion gear meshing with the ring gear
below the center line and at a slight angle?
- A. Hypoid
- B. Spiral bevel
- C. Double reduction
- D. Limited slip
19. In a two-speed final drive, what component is placed between the
differential drive ring gear and the differential case?
- A. Clutch pack
- B. Cone clutch
- C. Planetary gear train
- D. Sliding pinion gear
20. In a clutch pack type limited-slip differential, clutch packs are applied by
- A. centrifugal force of the spider gears and spring pressure
- B. friction of the steel disc and spring pressure
- C. spring force and the thrust action of the spider gears
- D. side pinion gears walking inside the side gears
21. Under rapid acceleration, the differential pinion gears of a cone clutch
limited-slip differential push outward on what components?
- A. Side gears
- B. Cone gears
- C. Flange casings
- D. Drive axles
22. What condition is generally accepted as the first hint of differential
- A. Loss of traction
- B. Vehicle vibration
- C. Loss of lubricant
- D. Unusual noises
23. Which differential trouble will produce a humming noise?
- A. Lack of lubrication
- B. Improperly adjusted ring and pinion gears
- C. Improperly adjusted pinion and side gears
- D. Excessive backlash
24. Which condition generates a clunking sound in the differential?
- A. Faulty differential gears
- B. Worn axle support bearings
- C. Excessive backlash between the ring-and-pinion gears
- D. Loose carrier bearings
25. The ideal tooth contact pattern on a used gear will have considerably more
contact in which area of the gear?
- A. Toe
- B. Heel
- C. Drive side
- D. Coast side
26. Which condition permits the drive shaft of a front drive axle to pass beside
the engine oil?
- A. Using a constant velocity joint.
- B. Using an intermediate drive shaft.
- C. Using a transfer case.
- D. Having an off-center differential housing.
27. In the front drive axle of a four-wheel drive vehicle, what component
transfers power from the drive axles to the drive wheels?
- A. Locking hubs
- B. Interconnecting shaft
- C. Outer stub shaft
- D. Sliding hub
28. What type of axle housing is most often used?
- A. One-piece
- B. Two-piece
- C. Guitar
- D. Banjo
29. Why are automotive axle housings vented?
- A. To cool the lubricant.
- B. To prevent pressure buildup.
- C. To prevent overfilling.
- D. To adjust for loads.
30. Where are the vehicle weight-supporting bearings in a full-floating axle
- A. At the inner end of the axle housing
- B. On the outer end of the axle shaft
- C. On the outer end of the axle housing
- D. At the inner end of the axle shaft
31. In a front-wheel drive vehicle, what component of the front-wheel drive axle
is splined to the side gears in the differential?
- A. Interconnecting shaft
- B. Outer stub shaft
- C. Inner stub shaft
- D. Rzeppa joint
32. What action allows for a change in distance between the transaxle and the
- A. Plunging action of the outer CV joint
- B. Plunging action of the inner CV joint
- C. Sliding action of the short shaft spline to the side gears
- D. Sliding action of the interconnecting shaft
33. Worn or damaged axle bearings produce what type of sound?
- A. Clunking
- B. Grinding
- C. Humming
- D. Growling
34. To help ensure axle bearing problems do NOT reoccur, you should take what
- A. Determine the cause of the part failure.
- B. Perform all repairs according to the manufacturer’s manual.
- C. Follow the shop supervisor’s instructions.
- D. Install a higher quality part.
35. When removing a pressed-on bearing collar from an axle, you should use which
- A. Cutting torch
- B. Hand grinder
- C. Slide hammer
- D. Bearing puller
36. When removing an axle bearing using a hydraulic press, you should place the
driving tool so it contacts what area of the bearing?
- A. Outer race
- B. Inner race
- C. Bearing collar
- D. Bearing sleeve
37. What is the proper tool for removing a housing-mounted axle seal?
- A. Hand grinder
- B. Pry bar
- C. Cutting torch
- D. Slide hammer
38. What component is used to divide engine torque between the front and rear
- A. Power takeoff
- B. Auxiliary transmission
- C. Transfer case
- D. Power divider
39. Shifting is accomplished in a gear type transfer case by what component?
- A. Sliding cone clutch
- B. External shifting rail
- C. Slide hammer
- D. Sliding dog clutch
40. When an operator reports that the transfer case is hard to shift, which
problem is NOT a possible cause?
- A. Excessive end play
- B. Clutch slippage
- C. Bent linkage
- D. Improper linkage lubrication
41. A power takeoff unit is driven by what shaft of the transmission?
- A. Main shaft
- B. Countershaft
- C. Idler shaft
- D. Accessory drive shaft
42. Faulty operation of a power takeoff unit is caused by which problem?
- A. Damaged linkage
- B. Improper spacing between the meshing gears
- C. Excessive end play
- D. Worn bearings