ATTACHING FLUSHING DEVICES
The flushing device for a water closet may be a flush tank or a flushometer. The flush tank is attached to the closet bowl or is wall-hung. The flushometer is attached to the closet bowl with a short vertical pipe. A flush tank has an assorted group of parts. These parts are connected in the tank, following the manufacturer's instructions, to form a flushing mechanism.
Attaching a close-coupled flush tank onto a closet bowl. Use the following steps to attach a flush tank to closet bowl (see Figure 24):
FIGURE 24. ATTACHING A CLOSE-COUPLED FLUSH TANK
- Push cone-shaped gasket onto tank outlet.
- With bolt holes lined up, place tank on bowl.
- Slip a rubber washer on each bolt and, from inside the tank, place the bolts with washers through the holes.
- At the bowl, slide washer onto bolt, and fasten the nut to the bolt on each side.
- Tighten nuts with a wrench to seat cone-shaped gasket and tank on bowl.
NOTE: A close-coupled flush tank is attached to a wall-hung closet bowl in the same manner.
Connecting a wall-hung tank to the closet bowl. Use the following steps to install a wall-hung flush tank to rear of closet bowl (see Figure 25):
FIGURE 25. CONNECTING A WALL-HUNG TANK TO CLOSET BOWL
- Install mounting board, using recommended height from manufacturer's instructions.
- Install tank outlet connection and spud connection, following manufacturer's instructions.
- Slide spud flange and rubber washer onto threaded spud.
- Slide slip-joint nut and then metal friction ring onto closet elbow for hookup to spud.
- Place end of elbow against spud, and fasten slip-joint nut hand-tight onto spud.
- Slide rubber washer onto tank outlet connection.
- Slide slip-joint nut and metal friction ring onto closet elbow for hookup to tank outlet.
- Fasten slip-joint nut hand-tight to tank's outlet connection.
- Attach tank to wall with screw bolts. Make sure tank is level and lined up with bowl.
- Tighten slip-joint nuts with wrench.
NOTE: Always make map to bowl connection using the manufacturer's instructions.