INSTALLING WATER CLOSETS
The majority of water closets are installed using a closet flange, a bowl, and a flush tank or a flushometer valve. The flange is connected to the rough-in plumbing and secured to the floor, the bowl is attached to the flange, and the flush tank or flushometer is connected to the bowl. Finally, water service is connected to the tank.
Installing a closet flange. Use the following steps to install a closet flange (see Figure 20):
FIGURE 20. INSTALLING A CLOSET FLANGE
- Slip the closet flange onto the closet bend, and make the joint connection for the type of piping used.
- Secure the flange to the floor with fasteners.
- Slip bowl hold-down bolts into the bowl slots of the flange.
The flange is now ready for the bowl.
- Flange joint connection to closet bend can be for cast-iron, plastic, and copper piping.
- Flange can be secured to wooden, concrete, and tile floors, using the proper type fasteners.
Preparing a water closet bowl for installation. Use the following steps to prepare the bowl for installation (see Figure 21):
FIGURE 21. PREPARING CLOSET BOWL FOR INSTALLATION
- Set the bowl upside down on paper to keep from scratching it.
- Place the wax gasket evenly over the horn, with the tapered side against the bottom of the bowl.
- Run a thick layer of putty around the base of the bowl.
The bowl is now ready to install.
Installing a water closet bowl to the floor. Use the following steps to install the bowl (see Figure 22):
FIGURE 22. INSTALLING WATER CLOSET BOWL TO FLOOR
- Turn the bowl right side up, and place it so that the hold-down bolts pass through the bowl's bolt holes.
- Slightly twist the bowl to smooth out the putty.
- Firmly press down on the bowl to seat the wax gasket.
- Place a washer over each bolt, and then fasten nuts on hand-tight.
- Check to see if bowl is level. If it is, tighten nuts. If not, use thin metal shims until it is level, and then tighten nuts.
- Snap bolt cap on.
NOTE: Do not overtighten the nuts, as this will cause the bowl to crack.
Installing a water closet bowl to the wall. Use the following steps to install a wall-hung closet bowl (see Figure 23):
FIGURE 23. INSTALLING WATER CLOSET BOWL TO WALL
- Following manufacturer's instructions, install a carrier body and connect it to the rough-in plumbing.
- Install sealing gasket into opening at rear of closet bowl.
- Carefully pick up bowl, and set it against the wall so that the carrier's bolts pass through the bowl's holes on both sides.
- Slide washer over each of the four bolts, and fasten nuts hand-tight to bolt.
- Use a carpenters level to make sure bowl is level.
- Tighten all nuts with a wrench and snap over nuts.