Exam for Lesson 5
1. Metals that cannot be identified by visual examination or mechanical testing might be identified through the use of a/an __________.
- A. Magnet
- B. Color number
- C. Grinder
- D. Acid spot test
2. Where or when does metal corrosion begin?
- A. During milling
- B. On exposed surfaces
- C. Before coagulation
- D. In the metal core
3. To protect a structure's surface, a sacrificial anode is applied. What corrosion-protection method is being used?
- A. Concentration cell
- B. Differential
- C. Galvanic anode
- D. Impressed current
4. Two years ago, a storage tank was constructed using cold rivets to join the steel sheets. Your present inspection shows corrosion in the joined parts. What type of corrosion has formed in the joined parts?
- A. Exfoliation
- B. Galvanic
- C. Intergranular
- D. Stress
5. The impressed current method of cathodic protection prevents metal structure corrosion by
- A. Using a source of alternating current
- B. Using a stronger electrolyte
- C. Preventing galvanic corrosion of the soil
- D. Balancing the electrical potential of the metal
6. Which four conditions must be present before electrochemical corrosion occurs?
- A. An electrolyte, a conductor, a cathode, and a metal anode
- B. A cathode, a metal anode, an electrolyte, and an organic film
- C. A metal anode, a conductor, an organic film, and a cathode
- D. An organic film, a metal anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte
7. Which of the following could produce a condition leading to corrosion?
- A. The reduction of a voltage rectifier
- B. The viscosity of a print
- C. The passivation process
- D.The misidentification of a metal
8. If you cannot positively identify a metal by visual identification, it should be _________.
- A. Tested for unusual stress
- B. Given magnet and spark testing
- C. Treated as steel
- D. Given ring testing
9. Corrosion presents a greater problem when it occurs in the vicinity of a/an _________.
- A. School building housing wood-working equipment
- B. Manufacturing plant with 100 automotive vehicles
- C. Electrified coal mine
- D. Office building lighted by fluorescent lighting
10. A pipeline is buried in cinders, corrosion will occur when the current _________.
- A. Accumulates on the pipe's interior
- B. Equalizes
- C. Leaves the pipe
- D. Enters the pipe