Quiz for Lesson 3
1. Several large pieces of equipment are encrusted with grease and dirt. Before you can paint them, you must first clean them with a/an __________.
- A. Vacuum cleaner
- B. Buffer
- C. Abrasive blaster
- D. Steam cleaner
2. Why should you have two or three sets of brass stencils with you when you are stenciling signs?
- A. Paint quickly builds up on brass
- B. Signs contain duplicate letters
- C. Extra sets avoid cleaning a stencil after each use
- D. Stencil letters easily bend out of shape
3. Which tool should you use to sharpen a cold chisel?
- A. Grinding wheel
- B. File card
- C. Wood rasp
- D. Emery abrasive
4. You are selecting a new abrasive wheel to put on a portable power grinder. The safe-operating speed of the new wheel is indicated _________.
- A. On the wheel blotter
- B. In the tool crib
- C. In the applicable TO
- D. On the spark plug
5. Which abrasive would you use to remove paint from a metal door?
- A. Flint paper
- B. Garnet paper
- C. Aluminum oxide
- D. Rottenstone
6. The airless spray gun develops a high pressure that presents the danger of sparking between the gun and the object to be sprayed. What precaution do you take?
- A. Spray only during low humidity
- B. Ground both gun and object
- C. Wear shock-resistant rubber gloves
- D. Use an explosive-proof motor
7. You have put a push-broom handle into the handle of a roller coater. The push-broom handle ________.
- A. Provides more leverage
- B. Allows the coater to get into corners easily
- C. Applies more paint in one movement
- D. Reaches high places without using scaffolds
8. You must paint a large gymnasium. Which tool do you use for volume painting?
- A. Stencil sprayer
- B. Self-contained spray gun
- C. Pressure-fed gun
- D. Low-pressure spray unit
9. Which tool do you use to clean rust from a protruding bolt head?
- A. Grinder
- B. Steam cleaner
- C. Disc sander
- D. Descaler
10. Which machine should you use to sand a drywall joint?
- A. Edger
- B. Buffer
- C. Vibrator sander
- D. Disc sander
11. You are using a compressor with a gasoline engine. When should you change the oil filter?
- A. When the oil is renewed
- B. After every job
- C. When the dipstick shows 1 quart low
- D. When the gas tank is filled
12. To remove excess paint from your brush while you are painting, the brush should be ________.
- A. Wiped with a dry cloth
- B. Tapped against the inside of a paint container
- C. Wiped over the rim of a paint can
- D. Rubbed on a hidden part of the job
13. Glass beads are added to traffic-marking paint to ________.
- A. Decrease the amount of paint work
- B. Increase the paint durability
- C. Improve the base coat
- D. Reflect the light
14. A good-quality paintbrush should have what key feature?
- A. Bristles that are flagged
- B. A metal handle
- C. Bristles with two rows
- D. Bristles made of horsehair
15. Which machine would you use to spray a small area with quick-drying lacquer?
- A. Low-pressure air compressor
- B. High-pressure air compressor
- C. Suction pump
- D. Vibrator pump
16. You are applying layers of paint on fine woodwork. What should you use to smooth the finish between paint coats?
- A. Grit abrasive
- B. Pumice stone
- C. Paint file
- D. Paint scraper
17. You are running a power-operated, traffic-marking machine. You can partly control the paint-spray width by the _________.
- A. Gun nozzle type being used
- B. Thumbscrew on the paint tank
- C. Drive pulley's speed
- D. Gun nozzle's distance from the pavement
18. What type of spray gun would you connect directly to a small compressor?
- A. Internal mixer
- B. Bleeder
- C. Non-bleeder
- D. Suction feeder