|Note: This is a beta version of
the course. We will move to the final
version (including graphics and discussion
questions) if we see there is sufficient
to express your interest in this program.
Lesson 1-4 Intentions of Terrorist Groups
The intentions of terrorist groups include one or more of the following tactics:
- Produce widespread fear.
- Obtain worldwide, national or local recognition for their cause by attracting the attention of the media.
- Harass, weaken, or embarrass government security forces so that the government overreacts and appears repressive.
- Steal or extort money and equipment, especially weapons and ammunition.
- Destroy facilities or disrupt lines of communication in order to create doubt that the government can provide for and protect its citizens.
- Discourage foreign investments, tourism or assistance programs that can affect the target country’s economy and support of the government in power.
- Influence government decisions, legislation or other critical decisions.
- Free prisoners.
- Satisfy vengeance.
- Turn the tide in a guerrilla war by forcing government security forces to concentrate their efforts in urban areas. This allows the terrorist groups to establish themselves among the local populace in rural areas.
David L. Heiserman, Editor
Copyright © SweetHaven
All Rights Reserved
June 06, 2015