1. The muscle or group of muscles that is responsible for most of the air movement into and out of the lungs is/are the:
2. Consider the following breathing patterns for an adult patient. Time Patient Actions
What is the patient's breathing rate?
3. How would you describe the patient's breathing rate in exercise 2?
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXERCISES 4 THRU 11. Match the term in Column I with its meaning in Column II by writing the letter of the meaning in the blank.
Column I -- Terms
_____5. Viscous sounds.
_____10. Normal adult breathing rate
_____11. Labored breathing
_____12. Have a person lie down. Take his pulse. After taking his pulse, determine his breathing rate without letting him know that you are taking his breathing rate.
Column II -- Descriptions
a. Breathing accompanied by whistling
b. Cough that has existed for a long time.
c. 6-10 breaths per minute.
d. Gasping for air.
e. Bracing arms against knees in order to breathe more normally.
f. Cough that came on suddenly.
g. 12-20 breaths per minute.
h. Amount of air breathed in and out.
j. Mucus coughed up from lungs.
k. Mucus produced in the mouth and used in digestion of food.
2. 14 breaths per minute (7 breathing cycles X2)
12. "Patient" should not know that you counted his breaths