Quiz for Part 1
The following items will test your grasp of the material covered in Part 1 of this course. There is only one correct answer to each item. When you complete the exercise, check your answer with the answer key that follows. If you answer any item incorrectly, study again that part the lesson which contains the portion involved.
1. You need to know where a certain door belongs that was delivered to the construction site. What plan/schedule would you use to find this information?
- A. Site plan
- B. Plot plan
- C. Door schedule
- D. Door plan
2. How many BF are there in 36 pieces of lumber in 1 inch by 4 inches by 20 inches long?
- A. 20
- B. 30
- C. 40
- D. 50
3. Why does a finish nail have a light depression in the head?
- A. Appearance
- B. Classification
- C. Holding power
- D. Nail set
4. Nails are ordered by the penny starting with two-penny through sixty-penny. What letter of the alphabet stands for penny?
- A. a
- B. d
- C. f
- D. p
5. Why are general notes written on a construction drawing?
- A. To give additional information
- B. To give architectural information
- C. To provide special notes for supervisors
- D. To explain the materials list
6. What are the lines on a construction drawing that represent the edges of surfaces and are somewhat heavier called?
- A. Center
- B. Extension
- C. Hidden
- D. Visible
7. Refer to Table 15. How many BF are there in a 2inch by 12inch board that is 16 feet long?
- A. 32
- B. 21
- C. 18
8. What are the three most commonly used hinges?
- A. Full-mortise, cabinet, and hinge harp
- B. Full-mortise, spring, and continuous
- C. Full-mortise, full-surface, and half-surface
- D. Full-mortise, special, double-acting locks, and striker plates
9. Why are screws better to use in wide ranges of construction?
- A. They cost less.
- B. There are more sizes.
- C. They are harder than nails.
- D. They have better holding power.
10. What is the first list that you should make before you make out a BOM?
- A. The materials takeoff list.
- B. The estimating cost list.
- C. The building hardware list
- D. The estimating lumber list.
Answers to Exercises for Part 1
- 1. C
- 2. A
- 3. D
- 4. B
- 5. A
- 6. D
- 7. A
- 8. C
- 9. D
- 10. A